Thursday, February 25, 2010

Today vs Tomorrow

42/365

Almost all of my adult life has been spent waiting for the next best thing. High school seemed like it was never going to end and the idea of college life was so close I could taste it. In college, I couldn’t wait to graduate and start making money for myself. After that, my husband and I were engaged for nine months! I can’t even begin to explain how slow the days passed in anticipation of our wedding. Now that I am married, I can’t wait for us to start our family. I live my life in a constant state of eagerness. Always wishing. Always waiting. Always looking forward.

Ecclesiastes 4:8
“There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth.” - NIV

Ecclesiastes speaks of someone never satisfied, could that be us? How much of our lives do we waste in anticipation of something bigger and better? A bigger house. A bigger family. A bigger career.

It is incredibly ironic that, when we look back, we find ourselves longing for the past as well. Our present lives are but procrastinated periods of future achievements or previous victories. Can’t we just “get on with it?”

How fortunate we are. Most of us, almost all of us, have present lives that reek of God’s providence. He has, and continues to; bless us beyond our wildest expectations...yet we do not see what is right in front of us. It is quite unsettling when you realize you have sandwiched yourself between what used to be and what might be.

I have to ask: Are we overshadowing today with an imaginary tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment