Monday, February 15, 2010

Taste Test

32/365

My best friend and I were roommates for years. After living with someone for a certain amount of time, you begin to notice their interests. In our case, however, there was no time to detect her most important interest because she never shut up about it: Diet Dr. Pepper. You would have thought this beverage was the end-all-be-all in carbonated goodness. She had it for breakfast, she had emergency stashes in her trunk, and she single-handedly organized the introduction of this drink into her company’s fountain drink station.

I, myself, am a regular Dr. Pepper fan. I do not touch anything diet out of simple support for the original. This being said, after years and years of her praises, curiosity got the best of me. Eventually, we made a deal that I would try her choice for one week. At the end of the week, while I was not fully convinced of Diet Dr. Pepper’s supremacy, I didn’t dislike it as much as I had originally suspected.

Psalm 34:8
“O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusts in him”. – AKJV

When we have those in our lives who are not walking with Christ, it is tough to remember that our job is never to convert them. What power have we to change someone’s mind? No, no. The responsibility given to us by Jesus Christ is simply to show the way. We are to point to Him with our lives, with our words and with our praise.

If you think about it, a “taste” is not that big of an amount. A taste is actually a very small thing that leads to something bigger. God does not say, “Try me for a year and then decide.” God knows, and we must know, that He has enough power in a single taste to change everything.

What is the use in bearing fruit, when there is no one to taste it?

No comments:

Post a Comment