Saturday, February 13, 2010

Office Space

30/365

Lately, I have found myself struggling to deal with the influences of my company. When I first came to them, more than three years ago, I was young. I was inexperienced in the career field and basically in awe of the corporate lifestyle. The company itself was in growth stages and my peers were welcoming and enjoyable.

Fast forward three years and I do not even recognize that company anymore. Aside from the name, nothing is the same. New building, new leadership, new dress code and – regrettably - new attitudes. Employees are being laid off at rapid rates – with zero notice. Socialization is frowned upon as much as Capri pants and, to spread a little icing on the cake, management encourages the use of instant messaging over face-to-face communication. I have personally witnessed more than one occasion of self-indulgence and egocentricity. With environments like this, it is safer for the American worker remain anonymous than acknowledged.

In this surrounding, how in the world do I remain true to my beliefs? I cannot consider others more important than myself without becoming disposable. I cannot anticipate fairness, allegiance or even tolerance. Most of all, I cannot speak out – even when I know that God is speaking through me.

Hebrews 6:10
“God is not unjust; He will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him…”

When we cannot see God in our work, we must rely on the knowledge that we can see Him. All of those desires that work fails meet, God will exceed our expectations. In Him we can anticipate fairness, allegiance and, even tolerance. He will not forget the work we have done for His Kingdom. Trust me that work doesn’t seem so bad when you are working for the right leader.

Interesting that God doesn’t say that we shouldn’t serve two masters, he says that we can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment