Monday, February 22, 2010

Nemo

39/365

For college graduation in 2004, my parents bought me a Chihuahua. I had been obsessed with the breed for years. I ended up with a longhaired white puppy, and named him Nemo. He was my heart! He was always loving, comforting, obedient and loyal. Then, it happened: I moved to my parent’s house and Nemo met my dad.

For some reason that little bugger was mesmerized with my dad. The loyalty that once thrilled me now frustrated me, because it was towards another person. Everywhere my dad went, Nemo followed. Every time my dad called, Nemo came running.

I’m not to big to admit it: J-E-A-L-O-U-S-Y!!! What the heck was going on here? I brought him into this family only for him to give his love and obedience to someone else? It was quite difficult to watch the thing that I loved, love someone else more.

Exodus 34:14
“Do not worship any other God, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.” – NIV

How much more vivid do our actions become when they are turned on ourselves? Our Heavenly Father created us to be intimate with Him. Our sole purpose in life is to love our King and find joy in Him.

How often do we replace our love for God with a love for our spouses? Children? Job? Or, even, money? Slowly, we become obedient to our objects of desire and loyal to their sheer presence. All the while, God watches. If I feel rejected from a 7 pound Chihuahua, how much more does our Father feel the rejection of a daughter.

God calls himself a jealous God. The definition of jealous is: apprehensive of losing affection, wary, fearful of being replaced, vigilant in guarding something and intolerant of disloyalty.

Jealousy is a horrible feeling. Is this what we wish on our God?

No comments:

Post a Comment