Monday, February 1, 2010

18 Inches

18/365

When I was first learning about Christianity, a church leader of mine told me of the 18-inch rule: Our heads are 18 inches from our hearts. Over the years, I have thought about this seemingly small space, and what must lie in there.

If I am being completely honest with myself, how have I been “knowing God” these last couple of years?

I know that Romans 8 mentions the Holy Spirit 20 times in that chapter alone. I know that Revelation 17 is intended to represent Babylon and the rampant run of false religion. I know that external evidence strongly suggests that Mark 9-20 were not originally part of his gospel, and that extreme caution should be used when formulating spiritual doctrine from these verses. Yes, I know tons of biblical facts and scriptural theories, but, do I really know my Lord and Savior?

Isaiah 29:13
The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”

Have we been so caught up in obtaining biblical knowledge that Christ, inadvertently, became secondary? What do we desire more: being able to spout out biblical facts in front of those who would think us wise, or, being able to sit face-to-face with our Heavenly Father?

Why do we constantly pursue earthly intelligence and forget what really counts? God is not impressed with factual knowledge about Himself. Instead of concentrating on filling our heads with comprehension, let us fill that small space from our heads to our hearts.

I have to ask: How many will miss heaven by 18 inches?

No comments:

Post a Comment