Friday, February 12, 2010

Slow Lane

29/365

Driving down the interstate this morning, I found myself trapped behind a huge truck. It might as well have been a death trap for my little Honda; the thing was shooting out little pebbles of destruction! As each pebble clinked against my windshield, I realized how foolish I was. There I sat, fully aware of the damage I was permitting, but refusing to move. I was in a rush. I was running behind. I needed the fastest lane possible to reach my end destination. While the right lane would have been less destructive, it would have been slower as well.

Sadly, I recognized this feeling; I have rushed down many paths in my life. I have chosen the express-lane-to-ruin on more than one occasion.

Is this what life has become? Are we more interested in speed than methodology? If we know the destruction that lies ahead, do we concede because the path is faster? Are we really choosing pebbles over patience?

Ecclesiastes 7:8
The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride.

As Christians, we often discover that through our development process, God grows us the most. What would we learn about Him, or ourselves, if we simply received all that we desired - without learning to appreciate the rewards? Would the result be so great? Would we even be ready for it? When God presents us with a period of growth, and we refuse, does that not keep us…small?

I can’t help but wonder how smooth the road would be if we cared more about our destination than how fast we got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment