Friday, March 5, 2010

Perspective

50/365

Last month, two our very dear friends were engaged. The groom-to-be is my husband’s best friend and I absolutely love his new fiancé. As soon as I heard the news, I asked my husband how it happened. As would be the case with any man, I only received “the gist.” I did not yet have the bride-to-be’s phone number so I had to concoct a new plan of information gathering. As a last ditch effort, I turned to facebook in hopes of finding additional details written in wall posts and comments. My efforts were unrewarding and I found myself with only a small piece of a larger puzzle.

Finally, last night, I actually spoke with the blushing bride and was completely filled in on the entire proposal procedure. As I expected, my “male-enhanced” version lacked much and I never would have realized it if I had not received all possible perspectives.

Acts 6:7
”So the word of God spread.” – NIV

In the start of the Church, there was no Bible as we know it today. What they did have, however, was the Word of God spoken throughout generations from those who walked in stride with Jesus Christ. These men recorded their time with Jesus and it has become the Holy Bible.

There are many in our contemporary cultures who regard the Bible as wayward. For the Gospels, specifically, there appear to be inconsistencies in the recollection of detail and recording of events. While the explanation of this seemingly inconsistent state is simple, there are those who refuse to see.

Were Matthew, Mark, Luke and John not four separate men? Could it be possible that each individual did not think, write or experience in the identically same manner? Could it be likely, that in His infinite care and concern for His children, that God provided every available perspective into the accounts of His life?

In an effort to get more specific, consider the following: Matthew contains nearly all of Mark’s material and Luke contains about half, however, at no point does Matthew and Luke agree against Mark. 97% of Mark’s words have a parallel account in Matthew. To provide even further credibility, Luke openly states that he used written sources to aid in his gospel account in chapter 1 of his gospel.

It is up to you to decide: Do you want to waste your faith in skeptical doubt, or, do you want to spend your days thanking our Heavenly Father for blessing us with all possible perspectives?

No comments:

Post a Comment