Monday, March 15, 2010

Nesting

60/365

Shortly after we got married, my husband and I purchased a house. It is not a large house as some would have, but it is more than enough to meet our needs. Weeks before our move in date, I couldn’t help myself…I was consumed with nesting. Designing, decorating and planning for our future was my single objective. My husband gave me a decorating budget and I went to work. My central goal: To make this empty house our home. I spent time on it. I spent money on it. I spent effort on it.

In the end, our house became everything we hoped for. Every time we walk through the door, we are overcome with feelings of appreciation for what we are able to have. Nevertheless, in the back of my mind, I can’t help but think of the short amount of time we will actually live here. As our family grows over time, our needs will grow accordingly. There is a distinct possibility that this house, the one that I worked so hard to adorn, will one day be a memory.

John 12:25
“The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.” – NIV

Man, do we want it all! Humanity cannot decide which home they are after: This world, or, the next. If any are like me, then they understand the amount of time wasted in adorning this world. I prepare for it. I spend energy on it. I spend money in it.

God commands us to hate this life, this world, this existence. We are to be holding out hope and praise for the eternal world prepared for us. How simple it is to attempt to hang on to the visible life and the eternal life at the same time, and derive our joy from both. God says that we must choose. The decision is upon us: Will we choose to treasure our lives on earth or in heaven? We cannot have both, one must be forsaken.

A man’s greatest care should be for that place where he dwelleth longest; eternity should be his scope. – Thomas Manton

No comments:

Post a Comment