Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Judge Judy

55/365

Last night, I had the pleasure of joining my brother for a play at the Fox Theater. While the play itself was directly off Broadway and saturated with raving reviews, the exaggerated liberal content had me a little hesitant to say the least.

As my brother sat at will-call, I decided to partake in some good old fashion people watching. Big mistake. I only had to glance up for a second to take notice of some of those in attendance. I say it only took a second because some of the patrons were dressed in styles that simply screamed, “Pay attention to me!”

In five short minutes, I managed to judge every single person that walked before me. It no longer mattered what my expectations of the play were originally, with these types of people, who knew what I was getting myself into. Just by those in attendance, my entire outlook of the play was altered.

1 Corinthians 5:12
”What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?” – NIV

Judgment: How common. Sometimes, can we even help ourselves? Sadly, even the walls of the Church are painted with this insistent emotion. It is a scary thought to consider the number of lost souls forsaking the church simply because of those inside it. Even in my spiritual maturity, I avoid some church homes due to those in attendance.

Is it simply ironic that the tolerant message of Christ is lost in hypocritical membership? Is it simply ironic that those most in need of grace are those at the source of ridicule? Is it simply ironic that we naturally consider people who are different more in need of grace? Is it simply ironic…or something larger at play? I have to wonder: If you were the only Christian a person knew, would they avoid the rest?

It is one thing to feel that you are on the right path of life, but something very different to think that yours is the only way.

1 comment:

  1. Nice...some of the best people I've known in my life were the ones who dressed abnormally, uniquely, or even were in a suit all the time. We shouldn't judge a book by its cover until we go through the contents and chapter breaks, no?

    Maybe underneath our exterior, inside we're decent people trying to get by in a world of exterioreality...

    ReplyDelete