Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Open Window

54/365

If there is one thing that I have learned so far this year, it is that timing is everything. Particularly, when regarding interstate 400, I have learned that there are certain “ideal” commute times. Each day, there is a small fifteen-minute window when a commuter can travel with minimal traffic resistance. In the morning, if you leave after 6:15, big trouble. In the afternoon, if you leave after 4, bigger trouble.

I used to have this schedule under control, never reaching a traffic barrier in my daily commutes. Recently, however, I have discovered the joy that comes from an extra fifteen minutes of sleep. I’m here to tell you, at 5:45am, it doesn’t really matter what impending doom you are facing…fifteen more minutes is worth the regret later.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-2, 3
“Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night…and they will not escape.” – NIV

How many of us know of the Lord and His greatness, but refuse to walk with Him. How many make the conscious decision to wait and be a Christian when I they are older…more settled down. Maybe next year. Maybe when I have kids. Maybe later.

I urge you, friends, the time is now. We do not know the day of our Lord’s coming and we will never know. In His mercy, He has given each of us time to choose Him. Each day of our lives is a window of open opportunity and open invitation. Yet, there are some who consciously choose to offend Him by turning down his invitation in lieu of something “more fun”. I plead with those in hesitation: Make sure you understand what is leading you to a life of regret.

When the window closes, eternity is a long time to think of what you should have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment