Saturday, March 20, 2010

Enter the Silence

65/365

I’ve been sitting here for a while now. Thinking, pondering, praying. Basically, just trying to come up with something to write about. Today is no different from others. Every morning I sit down and, without thinking, expect God to show up. I expect Him to meet me where I am and produce a meaningful (yet engaging) message.

But today…nothing. I suppose that I knew this time would come eventually, but I did not expect it to be so soon. I guess that today is the day, that I have nothing to say.

Of course, in my mind, I can’t help but wonder what this silence from God means. Why isn’t He here? Have I already lost the passion for this project? Is God trying to tell me something by not showing up? Why is He not giving me the words to say? Is this a reprimand of some kind? Or, is there something to this silence that I am missing?

Lamentations 3:27-28
“It's a good thing to quietly hope, quietly hope for help from God. When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence. Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions: Wait for hope to appear.” – The Message

Why is it that I experience one morning of stillness and automatically consider myself forsaken? Is my faith so small? Do I always expect Him to be moving, and in big ways? I fear that I have expected from God what I should have hoped for.

Could it be that the silence we rarely encounter is there for a reason? Could there be a lesson in His absence? Perhaps, if we stop speaking, we will finally begin to listen…and in my experience, sometimes the silence has the loudest voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment