Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tommy Boy

121/365

When I was in seminary, I learned that there was, and is, a gospel of Thomas. I was really surprised by this news, so much in fact, that I didn’t really believe it was a full gospel until I read it. Thomas? Why would he have written a gospel? The poor man is absent in our biblical knowledge with the single exception being his doubting ways. In our culture, his very name symbolizes disbelief and immature faith.

John 20:27
“Stop doubting and believe.” – NIV

It is kind of crazy how easy it is to get onto Thomas for his doubting ways when, ironically, he represents the modern mind most efficiently. How often do we hear statements such as “I’ll believe it when I see it” or “There is no proof that ever happened?” Fact is, we live in an “age of reason” in which many demand that for things to be true, they must see it, taste it, touch it or smell it.

I wish that I could say believers are exempt from this tyranny of doubt, but we know this is not the case. We cannot help ourselves when we question the power of our King. While we aren’t skeptical to the point of agnosticism, our doubt does affect our prayers. Sometimes, even if a rarity, our discouraging circumstances can seem a little bigger than our God. No matter how ashamed we are to let these trickles of doubt invade our minds, they seem to wander in at the most inopportune times.

I read once that the minds of those who follow Jesus cannot be limited by visual appearances, the kind that Thomas demanded. Jesus, as we know, tells us we won’t see until we believe. Faith is always the priority in the Kingdom, there is never room for doubters.

Do not doubt in the dark what God has told you in the light. – Victor Raymond Edman

No comments:

Post a Comment