Saturday, May 29, 2010

May 28, 1981

135/365

I have spent the last couple of years learning how to deal with grief and the aftermath of untimely death. I read once that the amount of time you spend grieving over someone should never surpass the amount of time that you spent with that person. In my case, I guess I’ll be grieving for the next ten years.

Yesterday, May 28th, was the birthday of my very best friend. Although she is no longer with us, I strongly believe that her memory should never be forgotten. I always have a hard time deciding what to do on this day. When someone passes away, what becomes of their birthday? Do we celebrate in their name? Do we act as if the day doesn’t exist? Do we do…anything?

Regardless of what activities I ended up partaking in, the bottom line remains: I remembered her. Is this not what Jesus asks of us…remembrance?

Psalm 25:7
“…according to your love remember me…” - NIV

If tears could build a stairway and memories were a lane,
We would walk all the way to Heaven, to bring you home again.
No farewell words were spoken, no time to say good-bye
You were gone before we knew it, and only God knows why.
Our hearts ache in sadness, and secret tears will flow
What is meant to lose you, no one will ever know.
Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment