Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lost and Found

129/365

Yesterday, at the lake with friends, someone pointed something out to me that – somehow – I had forgotten: Oh yea, I have tattoos. Even though I see my markings every single day of my life, one way or another, they have managed to become invisible to me.

How did that happen? How did something that seems unavoidable slip past my consciousness? How did something that helps define me become over-looked? Have I become so used to the presence of my tattoos that the meaning just became…lost? Not small in size, and not hidden in any way, this “discovery” made me wonder: What else have I lost?

1 Corinthians 15:18
“…those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.” – NIV

Do we consider ourselves awake, I mean, really awake? Are we, everyday, putting as much effort and attention into our spiritual lives as we are the rest? Are we consciously acting as disciples in a heavenly pursuit of the Kingdom?

OR

Are we dozing off? Have we become so comfortable in our Christianity that it has all but faded into our lifestyles? Has the thing that once defined us slowly become just that…a definition?

Giving our lives to Christ is a decision that marks us forever. It is not that this mark ever fades, but our eyes, eventually, adjust. We begin to look around everywhere except the one spot that matters. Like tattoos, are we so used to our Christianity that the meaning of our faith is all but lost?

Many things are lost in a lifetime, but those who lose their lives in Christ, only they, ever find them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment