Thursday, May 20, 2010

Distinguishing Marks

126/365

In college, when I first began to really walk with Christ, I fell in love with the book of Revelation. I know, I know…could I have chosen a more difficult read? Nevertheless, throughout all my studies and during all my readings, one element did remain with me for a considerably long time: The looming mark of the beast. I was terrified of it.

Revelation 13: 16-17
“He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” – NIV

Determined not to be thwarted by the Evil One, I immediately went out and purchased an ever-fashionable WWJD bracelet. I realize that this sounds quite juvenile and somewhat spiritually youthful, but I was ready to wear the mark of God! I wanted a constant identifier that placed me in the Kingdom of Righteousness. No more secret devotions, I was a full blown Christian. The antichrist wasn’t getting his hands on my arm…this wrist was taken!

It didn’t take long for Satan to shed hesitation on my over-zealous commitment. Unbeknownst to me, there was definitely no secret about the significance of these small bands. Everyone who noticed it on my arm immediately formed an opinion. It never failed…every single time that I encountered a non-believer; they would notice my spiritual statement and proceed to break me down. With the first buckle of that bracelet, my life became a constant witness.

It’s a scary position to be in; one of illustration. I wasn’t ready then and I’m still not ready now. But, when we choose to set ourselves apart from the world, we are making a decision to be held above normal expectations.

When I think about it, maybe we should all ask ourselves, are any of us ready to be a face of Christianity?

No comments:

Post a Comment