Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hindsight 20/20

118/365

Every now and then, I catch myself remembering life four years ago. I know that I have said this before, but I was a completely different person then. I lived for the minute, and truth be told, it was a very fun year. Nothing mattered more than a good time, including my own welfare.

I remember going to concerts almost every weekend with no regard to my financial limitations. I remember staying up all night partying, and often, without cause. I remember the acceptance and inclusion that came with my lifestyle. With all of this, my faith became a mere shadow of a life that used to be, a life that…frankly…wasn’t as fun.

As we grow older, our responsibilities grow with us. Our time becomes more significant and we can often feel, well…bored. We can catch our minds wandering to times when survival seemed carefree, when there was nothing to hold us down but ourselves.

Funny, that when we are looking back, we only see the good. Our eyes don’t catch the loneliness that came from our shallow relationships. Our recollection doesn’t include the shame and embarrassment that results from a night of partying. Our minds don’t remember the hole inside of us that only grew larger without a Savior to fill it.

Humanity has always been forgetful recipients of good things. God blesses our lives with more than we deserve, yet, we always long for what we had. We hide our satisfaction from ourselves until we are utterly convinced of our deficiency.

What we fail to realize, is that God has plans for you and I that are so much bigger than anything we could possibly long for in the past. It is easy to look back and trick our minds into thinking we don’t have it as good. While our former life may have been fun, it is nothing compared to the life we will have with Christ.

We are not yet who we will be. We are not yet who we want to be. But, thanks to God, we are no longer what we used to be without Him.

Isaiah 35:10
“Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.” - NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment