Wednesday, August 11, 2010

All About...

209/365

Throughout my lifetime, I have always had a very difficult time maintaining friendships with other females. It’s nothing personal against my gender, just a simple case of the all-about-me’s.

When you typically get a group of women together, at least many of the women I know, a virtual war breaks out over who can talk about themselves the longest. “My child did this”, “My husband did that.” “My vacation was this…,” “My weekend was that.”

Honestly, for someone like me who is completely against all forms of small talk, environments like this are just plain exhausting.

John 5: 31-32
“If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is valid.” – NIV

Neither in Jesus’ culture – nor in ours – is someone well accepted that claims their own authority. Self-proclamation is not only bothersome, but if it isn’t backed up by truth, it can be even less admirable as well. Just like all things in life, the Son of Man well understood this faux pas.

Jesus tells His hearers that His own testimony is not valid enough to meet the standards of the law…so, He offers up others: John the Baptist, the works and miracles that Jesus performed, the Holy Father Himself, Scriptures in general and Moses in particular.

Jesus’ assertions are staggering and well backed up by any evidence deemed necessary. All that the Jews held to be reliable, He says, points to Him as the Messiah. Prophets and prophecies of the Bible, miracles of God, the story of the nation, the Mosaic law, everything – it is all about Him.

The way I see it, if the entire universe, all of history, all of humanity, and every true revelation is about Jesus…shouldn’t we be entirely about Him as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment