Monday, July 26, 2010

Tim the Tool Man

193/365

This past weekend we had the pleasure of entertaining a few friends at the lake. Upon their arrival, all of our friends anxiously awaited their turn on the pair of jet skis. The problem was, one of them didn’t start!

I have no idea what was wrong with it; the thing immediately starts when I ride it…always. Needless to say, my husband and his two friends instantly recognized their chance to play with tools.

I’m just going to say it…I was silently freaking out! These lake toys are some of my dad’s most prized possessions. He takes such good care of them that I was hating even the possibility of messing one of them up. And, I don’t mind saying, my level of confidence in the boy’s mechanical abilities was less than elevated.

Just when I thought that my stress and panic levels couldn’t get any higher…here comes our friend Tim, marching down the dock, with freaking jumper cables! Here it was…this was how I was going to die…chest pains.

When all was said and done, the boys managed to jump the dead jet ski from the working one. Everything ended up working perfectly and all of our friends spent the entire afternoon riding them around as if nothing had ever gone wrong. I felt so silly when I thought about my panic party and level of worry; all I had to do was have a little faith.

Matthew 14:31
"You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" – NIV

How often do we treat our Savior this way? On the outside, we appear to be following His commands and trusting His ways, but on the inside, we are silently freaking out. “What if this doesn’t go like I want?” “What if this doesn’t end well?” “What if this…What if that?”

The way I see it, it all comes down to control. When something is out of our hands, and we know it, all there is left to do is have a little faith. Are we treating God as though we trust Him, genuinely trust Him? Or, are we waiting for Him to “prove Himself” before we ultimately live by faith alone?

1 comment:

  1. Where is sunday's post? Did you miss one?

    ReplyDelete