Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Darkest Hour

181/365

If there is one think that I have learned from my mom, in terms of decorating, it is that a little ambiance goes a long way. When I was decorating our new home last year, I knew the importance of lamps. Shaded light, while some may think it dim, is extremely comforting to me.

To take matters to a whole other level, I have even managed to add a little atmosphere to my cube at work. I purposely requested that the overhead lighting around my desk be removed; I wanted the bulbs taken out. I brought in lamps from my old apartment and have even had a candle at one point. I am all about working in the shadows and, basically, living in the dark.

Ephesians 5:8
“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.” - NIV

We live in a dark kingdom, dark in all areas that matter. Yes, our culture is one of neon lights, but it is the kind of light that hurts your eyes and brings no comfort to our souls. According to the book of Ephesians, our human understanding is dark, we are surrounded by dark powers and even we, ourselves, have done deeds in darkness.

When I was in school, I heard a story that Plato often said about people in a cave who only saw each other as shadows. They thought that they could see clearly enough, why wouldn’t they, it was all they ever knew.

Just like the people in the caves, believers all think that we are well-informed, but when we finally encounter light, we feel nothing but the pain of brightness in our maladapted eyes. As an instinct, we turn back to the darkness that we are so comfortable with and fail to recognize that our lives are deprived of true radiance.

The world no longer has anything to offer us. Its interpretations of light are nothing but shadows untouched by the light of truth. Let us open our hearts to Jesus, and let Him shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment