Friday, July 23, 2010

Sleepy Sleeperson

191/365

What in the world is it about men that allow them to fall asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow? Every single night, no matter what time we go to bed, Brian is fast asleep within minutes of the lights going out. I, on the other hand, am wide awake. I cannot shut my mind down from the day’s events and I feel as though my thoughts are in planning overdrive. I can honestly say that if any shenanigans were to go down in the middle of the night, there is a good chance that I would have a watchful eye on them.

Mark 13:36
“If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping.” – NIV

As Christians, Jesus has placed us on the walls of this world, the earthly city. We are charged with keeping watch and we all know what a disgraceful thing it would be if proper warnings did not arrive because the watchmen were asleep.

His warning is emphatic: “Watch out” (13:5). “You must be on your guard” (13:9). “What I say to you, I say to everyone: Watch!” (v. 37).

Jesus does not repeat himself because He is forgetful; He repeats Himself because it is extremely important. In an age of deception, we must keep our eyes open for those who would mean us harm.

There may be times when God has us sit very still and patiently, but He never wants our hearts to be passive observers of kingdom events. He wants our constant attention and readiness to fix ourselves for action. We must see His kingdom as an imminent reality and never get too comfortable in our sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment