Sunday, July 11, 2010

Flippancy

178/365

So, my mom and I just finished playing a doubles season for T2 tennis. When it was still going on, I had the brilliant idea of signing up for the singles season that was to follow. All I can say now is…what a horrible idea that was!

I have been playing singles for the past five weeks now and, man, do I dislike it. There is none of the excitement that came with doubles and definitely no intensity. The matches have been boring and I am really having no fun at all.

The ironic thing about this season is that I am winning, go figure. As of the other day, I officially clinched my division and moved on to playoffs. Basing my predictions from the level of play that has approached me so far, I do not think that another city championship is out of the question.

This is so me. Here I am, face to face with a blessing that most people would find immeasurable, and all I can think is…do I even really want it.

Zechariah 8:6
“"It may seem marvelous to the remnant of…people at that time, but will it seem marvelous to me?" – NIV

Spiritually speaking, has this become our attitude? Are Christians so used to hearing about what waits for us in Heaven that we are, inadvertently, lacing it with flippancy? Even though we stand side by side with those who marvel at God’s providence, to us, His blessings fade into everyday life.

The longer we are believers, the more difficult it becomes to remember how the world looked when we first opened our eyes to the Lord. A time when all we could fathom was the greatness that was to come. A time when all we could see was work still to be done. A time when everything was new and held such promise.

With God watching our every move, and knowing our very hearts, would the promise of salvation force Him to ask: Do they even really want it?

No comments:

Post a Comment