Sunday, June 27, 2010

Prayers of the Son

164/365

We know that the prayers of the Son of God never go unanswered. Why would they? There is no conflict, no separation between the persons of the Trinity. When the incarnate God asks, the enthroned God hears. When Jesus prays for us, we are secure.

Sometimes, for me at least, it is difficult to feel the assurance in the words of Christ. He prays for me and for my continued faith. He prays for me and my uncharted devotion. He prays for me and my line of spiritual discipline that I am able to maintain. If He is praying for all these things, why then, do I continue to falter?

When Jesus sees our faith, we often forget, He sees the lifelong process. He sees whether our faith will be proven false by our testing, or developed by it. In short, when we fall, Jesus knows whether we will ever get up.

In our humanity, we tend to dwell on our faltering efforts at faith, remembering well the stumbles that we have taken along the way to maturity. And, this is something that should be remembered, Jesus does not want us to casually dismiss our poor decisions. The difference between our point of view and the Son’s, however, is that our struggles in the faith are never the conditions that define us.

1 Thessalonians 2:4
“…so we speak not to please men but to please God, Who tests our hearts [expecting them to be approved].” - AB

We must remember that our failures are never what define us. It is not how God measures us. In fact, they are exactly how the enemy wants to measure us. We must learn to never trust this measurement, trust Jesus. He has prayed for us.

Jesus Christ will never dwell on the toddler that stumbles, no; He will always know us as the mature adult who walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment