Monday, June 14, 2010

Nanny Diares

151/365

Right out of college, I had an extremely hard time finding a job. Down to zero possibilities, I accepted a full-time position as a nanny of 2 children. One of the children was a two-year-old boy who was filled with nothing but mischief.

This little guy was sneaky! One day in particular, I was making the lunch for our picnic outing, when I turned around…he was gone! I searched high and low for that boy, and still, he didn’t appear. It was official; I had lost a toddler! Finally, after the initial onset of cardiac arrest, I found him. He was patiently waiting in my car. He had gone outside, opened the door, and crawled into the back seat. There he sat, oblivious to my panic, looking as though I should have expected him to be there the entire time.

Luke 2:29
“Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” – NIV

Mary and Joseph; two parents who were given the most sacred job in the history of the world: Parenting the Son of God. And, bless their hearts, they lost Him! To make matters worse, they did not just lose Him for minutes or hours, they suffered through his disappearance for three unbearable days.

The search party was extensive. They searched among their peers. They searched among their lands. They, no doubt, were consumed with the panic a parent feels for a missing child. And, finally, they found Him…in His home. Where else would He be?

How often do we find ourselves in the same frantic search for the Son of God? We search among our peers. We search among our daily activities. We search within ourselves. Even though we are assured of His presence, He often seems awfully absent.

What greater promise could Jesus make than this: “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” We never need to wonder where our Lord may dwell; He is always about His Father’s business.

Jesus’ own nature compels Him. He must be in His Father’s house, and His Father’s house is us.

No comments:

Post a Comment