Friday, January 29, 2010

Standing Still

15/365

All my life, I have been a woman of reinvention. I have taken all my “phases” of life to the limit, both the good and the bad. With one year never the same as the next, my personality became secondary to my objective: belonging. During adolescence, (and a little beyond), each age came with new interests, new peers, new appearance, and new attitudes. Coming from such inconsistency, I eventually lost myself in transition.

When you aren’t sure who you are, knowing what you believe gets even farther away. When spiritual matters were involved, I was a “Christian chameleon”. If my current peers were agnostics, I was agnostic. If my current peers were Bible thumpers, I was a scripture scholar. Trust me on this; it is exhausting when you pretend to be in love with a God you don’t even know.

One of the most remarkable things about the Christian faith is its consistency. The words that were uttered at the start of mankind are the very same ones spoken today. God does not see our contemporary culture and deem it worthy of less instruction…or perhaps, more instruction. No, God is sturdy in His commands, His callings and His creation.

Malachi 3:6 reads: “I the Lord do not change” – NIV

James 1:17 reads: “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” – NIV

God does not run for you to catch up. God does not hide for you to find. God stands firm and silent until you are ready to actually see Him.

With so much moving in our lives, it is calming to know that our Father is standing still.

No comments:

Post a Comment