Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bible Toter

6/365

At my small group this week, we watched a short video presented by Pastor Rob Bell. He was teaching on the childhood upbringing and culture of the Hebrews during the time of Christ. One particular feature that stuck with me throughout the evening was the fact that, as children, Hebrew boys would memorize the Torah (first five books of the Bible) simply as a way of life. Completing this task successfully did not lead to praise and honor, but instead, more education. The next step was to memorize the entire Hebrew Bible.

Immediately, my mind went to my personal experience with Scripture memory…how sad and modest that experience is. Even in school, I would memorize passages for grades, not for God. I was considering myself a true woman of integrity by not cheating on my computerized Scripture test; however, I was cheating myself every second. I walked away from those nights of cramming only to have the Word of God slip right out of my culture-consumed head.

Could I sit with a non-believer and locate specific passages that would peak their interest in a specific issue, possibly not. Could I sit with a young believer and broaden their biblical maturity with stories from Acts 7, no. But, hey, you know what I could talk about:

Twilight

Nsync

Chihuahuas

Ann Taylor LOFT Fall Line

Latest issue of Real Simple

Project Runway

Criminal Minds TV Show

I carry my Bible with me everywhere I go. Now, I can’t help but ask myself about the motivation for this action. Am I toting my Bible because I want to saturate my life with it, or, am I toting my Bible because I don’t know enough without it there?

Sometimes, the view is intolerably bright when you actually open your eyes.

Let the Word of Christ have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. – Colossians 3:16 - The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment