Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Curse of Complacency

13/365

Yesterday, I came across some old pictures that were saved on my hard drive. The images were from a couple years ago and, even though it was me, I didn’t recognize the woman at all. It was a time when God seemed so far away, and reckless decisions seemed so easy. It was a time when I was reaching for true joy, but settling for fun instead.

Naturally, I began to resent the life of unreliability and casual entertainment. I remember begging God to light a fire inside me that would outshine the neon lights of temptation.

Man, did He deliver! I threw myself into His Word. I threw myself into His church. I was growing in faith, growing in dependence and growing influential in my sphere of influence. Then, like many others before me, something happened: I stopped growing and fell into contentment. I had become a “good” Christian with morals, values and biblical knowledge. Then, there it was:

Proverbs 1:32
“For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them…”

The most dangerous and lethal weapon fighting against my spiritual growth was – and is - complacency.

The instant that our satisfaction with Christ overrides our service, is the moment our walk with God becomes stationary. As believers, are we actively seeking growth, or, are we satisfied in our current circle of grace? Are we finding ourselves making excuses for inaction, feeling obedient with our 30-minute-a-day worship and circle of Christian peers?

We cannot grow closer to the Lord while we are in direct defiance to His commands. He calls us to saturate our lives with His words. He calls us to speak boldly when we know He is speaking through us. He calls us to live a life of worship, not a half hour.

I have to ask: Have we lost our urgency?

No comments:

Post a Comment