Friday, January 15, 2010

Path to Passionate

1/365

“May you never forget what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.” - Irish Blessing

Interesting. I have managed to forget almost everything that once brought me spiritual joy, while at the same time; I remember all that brings me questions. And who do I credit for this trouble: My ever-expensive seminary instruction. I know that it sounds extreme, but I began my graduate training with an untainted spiritual heart only to emerge with a faith painted gray. For fourteen months I was trained to interpret the Word of God. I lived in a world of scholars, theorists, skeptics and contradictions. Every new chapter produced new conjectures. My heart became trained to recognize seemingly-inconsistent passages of the Bible while conjuring up possible solutions to the quandary. Before I knew it, I found myself disillusioned with my spiritual maturity and longing for the simplistic faith from which I came. Truly, my expectations were incorrect when I anticipated an education rooted in worship and scripture memory. I simply expected too much out of seminary. I thought the opportunity for professional training would increase my Biblical knowledge; instead, I ended up losing my original passion for the faith. Who could have predicted that, with my degree, I would gain an impressive book collection and disconnection with Christ.

Even now, months after completing my education, my heart remains suspicious and worse-yet: Passionless.

Fortunately, it is a new day. It is a new year. It is a brand new 365 Days!

Philippians 3:13-14 reads of staying the course:
“I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.” – The Message

Project 365 is my progression of spiritual renewal. I am praying that God will use 2010 to reunite with me at the place where our relationship first began: His Word. With his grace, I will recover my footing in the Kingdom of God. Daily, post will be made to this site in hopes of documenting the process from impassive to PASSIONATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment