Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Barren Blessings

240/365

Our church finally started the women’s Bible study last week. I say finally because the men’s study started weeks ago! I have just been sitting around the house waiting for the women to get geared up I suppose, and man, were they ever. We had a coffee and dessert bar to start the entire series and trust me when I say these women can cook. The desserts were awesome and the fruit bowl was beautiful.

After some time of socializing and meeting our fellow “class mates”, the lesson began. I have to be honest; I couldn’t believe the amount of transparency that made itself known almost right away.

The woman teaching that night was extremely open about her personal struggles with having children. (I was somewhat surprised at her openness knowing that, if I was in the same situation, I would be far too devastated to discuss with anyone…let alone a room full of strangers.) Anyway, this lady who appeared no younger than mid-40’s began to tell us of her years and years of childless living. As any would expect, her rollercoaster of emotions had an immeasurable amount of extreme highs and hopeless lows. Then, she pointed out the most obvious thing that just seemed to comfort everyone in the room at once:

Sarah = Barren. Genesis 16:2 “The Lord has kept me from having children.”
Rebekah = Barren. Genesis 25:21 “Isaac prayed to the Lord on behalf of his wife [Rebekah], because she was barren.”
Rachel = Barren. Genesis 29:31 “Rachel was barren.”
Elizabeth = Barren. Luke 1:7 “But they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren.”

Basically, the start of our entire humanity was built on the shoulders of seemingly barren women.

With faith and time, God opened all the wombs of these previously barren women. In two instances the women were clearly beyond child bearing years, yet they bore sons of promise.

I do not understand the ways of God, but I know he can and does perform miracles, even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment