Monday, April 26, 2010

Rate our Service

102/365

I have come to the opinion that something must be in the water for Fulton and Forsyth County, some extra little invisible tidbit that sucks the joy right out of the customer service industry. Repeatedly, my husband and I have noticed a steady decline in guest relations no matter where we are and I fear that this exceeds our county lines.

Regardless of the business classification, Restaurant, Retail or Service, employee efforts must be at an all time low. Table service in restaurants has never been worse. In shopping situations, employees are so consumed with commission efforts that a potential consumer is openly fought over like a piece of succulent steak. The effort is lacking in all areas of personal service, and yet, a tip is still requested.

What is going on here? Is the poor economy to blame for this lack of service, or, is the lack of service to blame for the bad economy? A man’s word is no longer viable. A coworker would just as soon consume you as commend you. The world is just…not what it used to be.

1 Peter 4:11
“If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides…” - NIV

It is somewhat silly how often I find myself yearning for another time. A time when relationships mattered and loyalty was not a weakness. A time when “service” was taken seriously, no matter what environment the service was in. A time when God was a priority and His words a mantra. Sadly, at my age, I have yet to know a time like this and I do not find myself with great confidence that the future will be different.

What people my age do know is that no one is more important than yourself. What we do know is that if we are going to survive, we must look out for number one. What we do know is that God will provide, but we want more than He is going to give and we can get that ourselves. What we do know is that success overshadows service.

In all of this, I have to wonder: Do we really know anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment