Friday, April 23, 2010

Cold Calls

99/100

The best day of my workweek, by far, is Thursdays. On this day, every week, I get the pleasure of forwarding my phone at the office and working from home. This is a relatively new policy for my company and it is really making the week much more agreeable.

Yesterday, when my workday was complete, I headed to Lambert High School to watch the tennis team compete in a regional match. It was such a beautiful day that, for the ride home, I let down my windows and turned the radio up. I was cruising down the traffic-free road, with the wind in my hair, and all of a sudden, my phone rang. Not even thinking, I picked it up and let out a definitely-not-professional hello. As soon as I heard the voice on the other end of the line, I knew: I had forgotten that my phone at the office was still forwarded.

There I was, busted. While I wasn’t doing anything wrong, my workday had ended, I still felt negligent. I had not answered my call in a professional manner. I was not in a position to answer any questions. When it all boiled down to it, I wasn’t ready to be called in the first place.

Matthew 24:44
“But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” – NIV

We all consider ourselves planners to a certain degree. Some of us plan days, months or years in advance, while others only moments. No matter how many attempts we make to schedule our lives, one thing will always be spontaneous: The Return of our King.

Christ IS coming back. There is no doubt, no mystery or no uncertainty to this fact; It will happen. This will not be an event we can plan for. This will not be an event that we can predict. This will be an event so spontaneous that it will catch us right in our tracks, no matter how ready we are. There will be no time to start acting appropriate or responsible. All there will be is our behavior and response to the call.

When the most important call of your life, finally, comes in: What will we be doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment