Friday, April 30, 2010

Arsenal of Attitude

106/365

In the past few months of my life, a reoccurring theme has developed: Easier said than done. With my job situation, I should just be happy to be employed at all and not be disappointed that I am not teaching…easier said than done. With my peers, I should not let callous people have the power to hurt me, I should just set my heart on things above…easier said than done. With this blog, I should stop worrying about how many more posts are to come and just concentrate on sending one out everyday…much easier said than done.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t seem to set my mind on anything! No matter how much I try, and no matter how virtuous my intentions are, I cannot seem to control the self-deprecating thoughts that bleed into my consciousness. Like it or not, my mind always puts myself above my creator. Luckily, there is hope. God has provided us with an arsenal of weapons to use against our fleshy subconscious. And the trick to setting our minds on things above: Carrying surplus oil.

Matthew 25:10
“But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.” - NIV

Matthew 25 teaches about the five wise virgins and the five foolish virgins who did not carry surplus oil. When the time came to meet the bridegroom, many were caught unprepared because their minds had been elsewhere. This lack of prudence caused them to miss the bridegroom completely.

The fact is, when we engage in Godly endeavors … we are setting our mind on things above. When we make the conscious choice to prepare our hearts and ready our minds, we are thinking heavenly. Prayer is a crucial way of assuring we will have sufficient excess oil for your lamps.  Frequently spending time in God’s Word is another.  Spending more time in God’s presence, whether in church or praising Him with our own with uplifting music, will relieve us of our earthly burdens.

Many things in life seem all too difficult to endure, but setting our mind on Christ… as easily done as said.

No comments:

Post a Comment