Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hidden Hi-C

254/365

This past Sunday, like all Sundays, I headed off to the grocery store. (It’s kind of crazy the amount of things that happen to me while I’m shopping.) Anyway, I decided to start going to Kroger these days over my customary Publix selection. Just when I was second-guessing my decision, and almost wishing for the familiarity that comes with Publix, there it was…the elusive Smashin’ Wild Berry Hi-C Juice Boxes!

This may sound like a small thing, but you have no idea how hard these things are to find. This flavor of Hi-C is not just anywhere my friend, in fact, their location is one of the greatest mysteries of our time. Sure you can find grape or fruit punch, but Smashin’ Wild berry, well that is like a diamond in the ruff.

Now, while the flavor of these juice boxes is undoubtedly awesome, I cannot say that it is the reason why I love them so much. Sadly, these tasty beverages are one of the most significant reminders that I have from my late best friend. Our house used to be swimming in these drinks. We couldn’t get enough of them. It was what you call a “staple”. Now, seeing them, just reminds me of her in such a joyful way.

Now, there was a time, not all that long ago, when something as tiny as a fruit drink would send me on an emotional spiral into devastation. To be perfectly honest, I would have gone to great lengths to have all of these juice boxes destroyed just so that I wouldn’t have to be faced with my loss. There was a time when no light was visible at the end of my shrinking tunnel and even the hope of peace was far from my reach. But, then, there was also a time when I finally remembered what my knees were for.

Job 22:21
“Come back to God Almighty and He’ll rebuild your life.” – The Message

Beth Moore says that hope is believing that God will, even though He hasn’t. And trust me, when you face the loss of a loved one, nothing is more important that the hope you find in the Lord. The ability to praise our Heavenly Father in the midst of chaos and catastrophe is the sign of a true disciple. A broken soul on its knees before the Lord stands far taller than a fickle believer trying to stand on their own.

So even if it is the small sight of a juice box that sends you down there, even if you have to crawl into your prayer room, Praise Him still. There is no other way to leave that room standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment